It is said that approximately 2% of the general population is allergic to wood dust and the compounds found in wood.
Currently, Wewood has verified that a very small percentage (0.03%) of people experienced an allergic reaction from the Brown model (red wing celtis) in the seven years the company has been in business.
At this time, Wewood hasn't experienced the result of allergic reactions in any other types of wood, but recommends for anyone who may be sensitive to wood, to be especially careful when choosing this particular model.
Mechanism of the allergic reaction
A wood allergy is an adverse reaction by the immune system caused by chemicals called, quinones. Derivatives from these chemicals bind with skin proteins which are considered by the immune system as foreign. The symptoms can vary among patients but generally, the allergic reaction to wood resembles contact dermatitis with some redness, swelling, blisters and irritation.
Generally the allergic reaction appears after 24/48 hours of prolonged contact, and in few cases doesn't disappear when you stop wearing the watch, or may even get worse for a few days following its removal.
We reccomend that you see an allergist as soon as you notice a rash or irritation.
What your Doctor can do for you
If you think you are sensitive to wood, consult your doctor or an allergist. Physical evaluation, a medical history, and patch tests will help in finding the cause and rule out other disorders. The treatment will be mainly symptomatic as with other allergies. Antiallergy medications may be prescribed. If the reaction is mostly dermatologic, topical corticosteroids may be given (with prescription).
Doctors should be informed that WeWood doesn't use any glue and doesn't treat the wood with any artificial chemicals. External metal parts are nickel free and comply with the Entry 27 of Regulation (EC) No 552/2009 amending Annex XVII of REACH Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (previously restricted under Directive 94/27/EC). For more information please contact the WEWOOD distributor in your area.
Here are some links that can provide some useful information:
A Guide to occupational exposure to Wood, Wood Dust and Combustible Dust Hazards: http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig19.pdf
Report for wood turning, according to the Woodworkers Institute.com:
Report created by Australian woodworkers of some of the potential health hazards associated with timber use: